Hi, welcome to our weekly post where we tell you “What Comics to Watch For On Wednesday.” We are looking into our crystal ball of experience/research and trying to divine a few titles worth your time this week. It is good to note that we rarely suggest mid-run titles, because we try to provide good jumping on points or oddities that must be seen to believe.
First, let’s take a look at how we did last week. We recommended 5 titles to check out last week and we are going to look at the Ifanboy.com average community ratings for each book to see how our suggestions panned out.
1. The highest scoring recommendation that we had last week was Herobear and The Kid #1. It had a perfect 5.0 score. I have a feeling that only one or two people ranked it, making it have a perfect score.
2. Thor: God of Thunder #11 was Ifanboy’s POTW last week. Scored an average community rating of 4.8 out of 5. Great way to send off a great series!
3. Saga #13 had to get in on the fun with a 4.4 out of 5. I heard that this was a “setting up the scene” type of issue, much like we seem to have had in Breaking Bad last week.
4. Marvel’s Infinity #1 did not shock or awe, but simply entertained and received an average community rating of 4.3.
5. The Walking Dead #113 tied with Infinity #1 and got a 4.3 out of 5 itself. It’s worth mentioning that some books are always over a four and rarely a five…they are good, but their goodness makes it hard for them to be amazing.
6. Batman #23 featured the emergence of The Batman and only got a 4.2 average community rating.
7. Last, but not least, Astro City #3 got an average community rating of 4.2 out of 5. I disagree, because I freaking loved this comic. That is all.
Now to this week’s offerings:
Batman Beyond Universe #1
The strange attraction to the Batman Beyond universe continues with an all-new creative team. I always liked Batman Beyond and look forward to seeing what new wrinkles can be made in the universe by fresh talent with fresh vision. Granted, I might not like it after issue #1, but that’s why they put the Sean Murphy cover on it. If they can get me to commit to issue #1 with Sean Murphy art and a promising plot, then they figure that my collectible OCD will take over for the rest of the series. You have me for one DC…one.
New creative team for a new arc. Zeb Wells is humorous and a little sassy. That’s perfect for our teen protagonist. Throw Spider-Man in (who Wells is skilled with writing) and you’ve got yourself a deal.
Indestructible Hulk #12
So, last time it came out, we suggested you buy it. Then, the next week, it was our top performer of all of our recommendations. Now it is coming out again with Hulk riding a dinosaur…with cowboys. What are you waiting for?
Justice League Trinity War #1 Director’s Cut
Everybody loves Trinity War except me and Tim, but we had too many Marvel suggestions. This should be cool…probably.
Street-level hero teams up with cosmic-level hero. Wackiness should ensue. Plus, it’s the first time I have seen Norrin Radd in a while. It’ll be good to catch up.
~ Scott Deaux ~